Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Adventures in Crafting

I quite enjoy "crafting." Creating and designing. Painting and scrapbooking. Cards and pictures. Really a variety of "crafts" pique my interest. Quite naturally, because of my own personal enjoyment I receive from creating things, my wish & hope is that my children will also have a love to create things.

So the other day I went onto my "Ideas for Kids" Pinterest board and found, what I thought would be a fun little morning craft. It included glue, salt, dark paper, and water paints (obviously water & paintbrushes also). The idea came from a neat little blog called jojoebi designs.

The idea of the craft is to put glue down on the paper in some neat design and then cover it with salt. After shaking the excess salt off you then use your paintbrush and water paints to lightly touch the salt areas and watch the colour spread.


So everything started off well, as it usually does. Ady was excited to paint, everything was easy to get out, Lexi was asleep. Very good start. We sat down, got situated, and I proceed to get the glue going. Now, for some strange reason I have had this glue bottle since I was in elementary school. Don't ask me how, but I did. Well who knew, glue can go bad. I mean, I guess I should have known since it has been with me since I was a wee-one. And man did it stink! It was gross and weirdly gluey but not usable. So we moved onto the modge-podge because I was out of glue sticks.

After deciding which paper to use, I first showed Ady what to do, and then let her put the glue on her own purple paper.

Well it turned out to be a bit more gobbish, but that's OK, it's her work, right?

I then showed her to put salt over the picture but decided against letting her salt her own for fear of having a box of salt dumped all over and having yet another thing to clean up...no thanks! 
I then reminded her how to use the water paints again and showed her how to gently touch the paint covered paintbrush onto the salt. Well, that didn't go as planned. Now, I am actually a particular person, especially when it comes to creating things and having a specific way of doing things. My lovely daughter seems to bring this to my attention nearly every time we do a craft together...

She painted beside the salted glue. She painted through the salted glue. But she did not gently touch the salted glue with her paintbrush; despite me showing her numerous times as to how this was to be done. And she even painted on my piece of work that I was working on! Oh the nerve of a toddler....sigh...

Ah well, perhaps this was a little too advanced for her, to do it my way at least. And perhaps I was a little too tired which caused me to care too much about what she did with her own art work. But it makes me think. I definitely don't want to be one of those moms. I want her to enjoy creating and crafting just as much as I do, without my interference! (My gentle coaching yes, but interference, no.) So I guess we'll keep working on it, I mean, she does excited about painting and pens after all ;)
Our finished masterpieces!


To many more crafting adventures!


ps. please be patience with me as I am trying to figure out how to create a readable, eye-appealing blog, with proper links. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment